- Carlberg, C., & Kavale, K. A. (1980). The efficacy of special versus regular class placement for exceptional children: A meta-analysis. Journal of Special Education, 14, 296-309.
- Casto, G., & Mastropieri, M. A. (1986). The efficacy of early intervention programs: A meta-analysis. Exceptional Children, 52, 417-424.
- Cook, S. B., Scruggs, T. E., Mastropieri, M. A., & Casto, G. C. (1986). Handicapped students as tutors. Journal of Special Education, 19, 483-492.
- Cooper, H., & Hedges, L. V. (Eds.), (1994). The handbook of research synthesis. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Dunn, R., Griggs, S. A., Olson, J., Beasley, M., & Gorman, B. S. (1995). A meta-analytic validation of the Dunn and Dunn model of learning-style preferences. Journal of Educational Research, 88, 353-362.
- Forness, S. R., & Kavale, K. A. (1993). Strategies to improve basic learning and memory deficits in mental retardation: A meta-analysis of experimental studies. Education and Training in Mental Retardation, 28, 99-110.
- Forness, S. R., & Kavale, K. A. (1996). Treating social skill deficits in children with learning disabilities: A meta-analysis of the research. Learning Disability Quarterly, 19, 2-13.
- Forness, S. R., Kavale, K. A., Blum, I. M., & Lloyd, J. W. (1997). What works in special education and related services: Using meta-analysis to guide practice. Teaching Exceptional Children, 29(6), 4-9.
- Fuchs, L. A., & Fuchs, D. (1986). Effects of systematic formative evaluation: A meta-analysis. Exceptional Children, 53, 199-208.
- Glass, G. V. (1976). Primary, secondary, and meta-analysis. Educational Researcher, 5, 3-8.
- Glass, G. V., McGaw, B., & Smith, M. L. (1978). Meta-analysis in social research. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Glass, G. V., & Smith, M. L. (1979). Meta-analysis of research on class size and achievement. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 1, 2-16.
- Kavale, K. A. (1981). Functions of the Illinois test of Psycholinguistic Abilities (ITPA): Are they trainable? Exceptional Children, 47, 496-510.
- Kavale, K. A. (1982). The efficacy of stimulant drug treatment for hyperactivity: A meta-analysis. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 15, 280-289.
- Kavale, K. A., & Forness, S. R. (1983). Hyperactivity and diet treatment: A meta-analysis of the Feingold hypothesis. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 16, 324-330.
- Kavale, K. A., & Forness, S. R. (1987). Substance over style: A quantitative synthesis assessing the efficacy of modality testing and teaching. Exceptional Children, 54, 228-234.
- Kavale, K. A., Mathur, S. R., Forness, S. R., Rutherford, R. B., Jr., & Quinn, M. M. (1997). Effectiveness of social skills training for students with behavior disorders: A meta-analysis. In T. E. Scruggs & M. A. Mastropieri (Eds.), Advances in learning and behavioral disabilities (Vol. 11; pp. 1-26). Greenwich, CN: JAI.
- Kavale, K. A., & Mattson, P. D. (1983). "One jumped off the balance beam": Meta-analysis of perceptual-motor training. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 16, 165-173.
- Kavale, K. A., & Nye, C. (1984). The effectiveness of drug treatment for severe behavioral disorders: A meta-analysis. Behavioral Disorders, 9, 117-130.
- Light, R. J., & Pillemer, D. B. (1984). Summing up: The science of reviewing research. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Lloyd, J. W., Forness, S. R., & Kavale, K. A. (1998). Some methods are more effective. Intervention in School and Clinic, 33(1), 195-200.
- Mastropieri, M. A., & Scruggs, T. E. (1989). Constructing more meaningful relations: Mnemonic instruction for special populations. Educational Psychology Review, 1(2), 83-111.
- Reinecke, M. A., Ryan, N. E., & DuBois, D. L. (1998). Cognitive-behavioral therapy of depression and depressive symptoms during adolescence: A review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 37, 26-34.
- Robinson, T. R., Brownell, M. T., Smith, S. W., & Miller, M. D. (in press). Cognitive-behavior modification of hyperactivity/impulsivity and aggression: A meta-analysis Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Rosenthal, R. (1978). Combining results of independent studies. Psychological Bulletin, 85, 185-193.
- Rosenthal, R. (1984). Metanalytic procedures for social research. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Schmidt, M., Weinstein, T., Niemic, R., & Walberg, H. J. (1986). Computer-assisted instruction with exceptional children. Journal of Special Education, 19, 493-501.
- Skiba, R., & Casey, A. (1985). Interventions for behavior disordered students: A quantitative review and methodological critique. Behavioral Disorders, 10, 239-252.
- Stage, S. A., & Quiroz, D. R. (1997). A meta-analysis of interventions to decrease disruptive classroom behavior in public education settings. School Psychology Review, 26, 333-368.
- Swanson, H. L., O'Shaughnessy, T. E., McMahon, C. M., Hoskyn, M., & Sachse-Lee, C. M. (1998). A selective synthesis of single subject design intervention research on students with learning disabilities. In T. E. Scruggs & M. A. Mastropieri (Eds), Advances in learning and behavioral disabilities (Vol. 12; pp. 79-126). Greenwich, CT: JAI.
- Talbott, E., Lloyd, J. W., & Tankersley, M. (1994). Effects of reading comprehension interventions for students with learning disabilities. Learning Disability Quarterly, 17, 223-232.
- Weisz, J. R., Weiss, B., Alicke, M. D., & Klotz, M. L. (1987). Effectivness of psychotherapy with children and adolescents: A meta-analysis for clinicians. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 542-549.
- White, W. A. T. (1988). A meta-analysis of effects of direct instruction in special education. Education and Treatment of Children, 11, 364-374.